Doctrine vs. Principle

I was chatting with my mom last weekend, and she had just taught a lesson at church and she said her class got stuck on doctrine and principles.  The overall consensus was that they were the same thing, but my mom was perplexed because she didn't agree (and like me, she doesn't like contention), so she continued with her lesson.

This entire week I have been pondering on this, because - like my mother - I don't agree.  Obviously this was inspiration for a blog post.

In a Ricks College (now BYU-Idaho) devotional, David A. Bednar explained that, "doctrine refers to the eternal, unchanging, and simple truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Doctrines are never altered. They never vary. They will always be the same. You can always count on them," (Bednar, "Teach Them to Understand," June 1998).  One example - that my husband and I used various times this week in our discussions of this - is the doctrine of eternal families.  Regardless of faith, religion, ethnicity, gender -- families are eternal.  It doesn't matter what choices you make, where you live, or what you do for a living: families will always be eternal.

Principles, on the other hand, "are doctrinally based guidelines for what we ought to do," (Bednar).  He continues with this explanation: "Therefore, if there is a doctrine of the Atonement, then the first principle of the gospel is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.  Repentance is the second principle or doctrinally based guideline for how we should love.  Both of these principles are linked to the doctrine of the Atonement."  I like to refer to principles in if/then statements.  For example: if I have faith in Jesus Christ and repent when I make a mistake, then I can be forgiven through the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  Or: if I read my scriptures and say my prayers (asking questions in faith), then I can receive answers (personal revelation, communication with God).

Put simply, "doctrine answers the why of our lives.  Principles provide us with direction about the what and the how," (Bednar).  If we want to live with our families for eternity (WHY), then we must live worthily to enter the Lord's house and be sealed for time and all eternity (HOW and WHAT).  Doctrines and principles are not the same, but they are eternally and intricately connected.

This talk is a very insightful read.  I highly recommend it to all, but especially to those with questions about doctrines, principles, and creating environments of learning.  Here's the link again: Teach Them to Understand.

Now, a quick thought from our "Come, Follow Me" discussions from this past week.  As you know, we have been studying the Sermon on the Mount this week, which just so happens to be full of principles and doctrines.  For example, Matthew 5:3 states: "Blessed are the poor in spirit[principle/what]: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven [doctrine/why]."  You may have noticed from your personal scripture study that a lot of chapters feel sandwiched (i.e., intro; followed by the teachings - the meat; finished off with the reward or why).  The Sermon on the Mount is like this.  Let's take a section of Matthew 5.   The chapter begins with the Savior going into a mountain with his disciples alongside; after observing the people present, he proceeds to teach them.  Verses 3-12 are some of Jesus's teachings (blessed are they... for they shall...).  And finally, verses 13-16 are the why.

I don't know why I found this chapter so interesting, maybe because I felt like I understood how to better represent "salt of the earth."  The Savior sees His people, teaches them by the spirit (the Law of Christ), and then tells them why.  It is clear and simple.  Verses 3-12 are the HOW: the teachings, the principles in how to achieve the WHY: the blessings, the doctrine.  Granted, how one is persecuted, hungers and thirsts after righteousness, or is a peacemaker will vary; the point is the principle and that it is done, how we accomplish that is up to us.  However we put into action those principles is not the point, because as long as we act, we will receive.  This gave me a sense of peace, and helped me want to strive to be more patient with myself.  It's like the Savior knew I needed that message this week, and I am so grateful.

Next week's topics (Mar 3. - Mar. 9):
Come, Follow Me: "Thy Faith Hath Made Thee Whole" (Matthew 8-9; Mark 2-5)
Primary Topic: Through the Atonement (of Jesus Christ) I can repent and be forgiven of my sins.
Weekly Challenge: Read the parable  of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32).  Discuss what the turning point was for the prodigal son, and how the father reacted when the son came home.

Comments

Popular Posts