February: Chapter 2 of 12

Wow!  I don't remember the last time I blogged, which is sad.  I have missed reporting to myself how things have been, ways to improve, and setting goals.  And since February is close to an end, I think I will keep it simple and do an overall recap for how the month has gone.  Here we go!

Week 1: January 27 - February 2
Come, Follow Me: "Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord" (Matthew 3; Mark 1; Luke 3)
Primary: Heavenly Father has a plan for His children
Challenge: Memorize the song "I Will Follow God's Plan."

With it being February, I knew our holiday wall had to involve hearts in some way, but I didn't want it to be cliche or BAM! hearts everywhere.  So I searched around on Pinterest for some ideas, and I found this super cute Valentine's Day bulletin board idea from Teachers Pay Teachers: heart cacti!  I am super obsessed with all things cactus right now, so it was perfect!  Since I knew we would be traveling a lot this month, I wanted to get ahead, so I made everything for the month this week.  I kept it simple (because they cacti turned out so cute I didn't want to "ruin" them, and because of upcoming trips).  After all the cacti and pots were made, I wrote the scripture(s) we were going to study and either the topic or a question that would help us focus on the doctrine or principles that were taught.  Along with that, I wrote up all of our challenges and topics we would be focusing on; I wanted everything to be up so we could have it in our minds all month long.  This basically took all week, but it worked out super well (and I may even do that moving forward because it helped me have a clear focus and intention for the month).  I did love singing our challenge song every night; and now Michael knows it too (I can always tell he knows a song because he either leads the music and/or starts dancing).

Week 2: February 3 - February 9
Come, Follow Me: "The Spirit of the Lord Is upon Me" (Matthew 4; Luke 4-5)
Primary: Heavenly Father commanded Jesus Christ to create the earth
Challenge: Each day write in your journal (or draw a picture) about one of Jesus Christ's creations that you are grateful for.

Oh, man!  Traveling and keeping up on these lessons is tricky business.  This week Michael and I went to Texas to visit family.  We had a lot of fun, but with the time difference and Shawn being at home, lessons were definitely short and to the point (which isn't a bad thing), but I don't think we got as much out of the lessons as we normally do.  I also think it was a little confusing to Michael because our routine was a little off; we were learning to be flexible.  But I was for sure grateful that everything was done ahead of time.  Shawn was able to take charge a little, sine he was on the home front, and that was kind of a nice break for me.  He was very good to lead those short discussions, and help us get as much as we could out of the scriptures we chose to focus on.  I think Shawn appreciated it too (maybe not being in charge, but having everything laid out ahead of time 😉).  As for our challenge, we could have been better about writing down creations we are grateful for, but I think we did an okay job talking about that each night.

Week 3: February 10 - February 16
Come, Follow Me: "Ye Must Be Born Again" (John 2-4)
Primary: My body is created in the image of God
Challenge: Do three things this week to keep your body active.

And we were off again!  This time all of us, and we went to Disneyland; but this was even trickier than when we were separated, believe it or not.  I think it was because we were on vacation together, with family, at "the happiest place on earth," and we thought we could fit in our scripture study somewhere along the way.  I think we read maybe two nights (and we were gone for almost a week 😬).  Again, I was grateful to have had everything written up already.  When we got back from Disneyland, we doubled up; two thoughts each night.  Oh, boy, was that a handful!  But at least we stayed home long enough afterwards to get caught up.  And hey, we got our "do three things to be active" challenge done.  I do have to say though, we did have a lot of really positive conversations during our drive and on our walks.  They weren't always spiritual or about the verses we had planned, but a good talk is a good talk, and it leads to more conversation, and deeper connection; so for that I am also grateful.

Week 4: February 17 - February 23
Come, Follow Me: "Blessed Are Ye" (Matthew 5; Luke 6)
Primary: Agency is the gift to choose for myself
Challenge: Each time you make a decision this week, stop and ask yourself if it is a good or bad choice.  Ask if this will help you grow closer to the Savior.

Now we are caught up here. Let's see...  Our cactus holiday wall is filling up and looking good, if I do say so myself.  And our discussions are going well.  Michael is getting back into the routine (giving him a bottle helps calm him down).  This week we are studying the sermon on the mount, and I feel like we are looking at it differently than we have before.  It is really great looking at two accounts simultaneously, rather than individually; I think we get a little more detail and context, which has helped us find more meaning and application.  It has also helped us be more vulnerable and open about "real life" conversations (kids, homes, work, family, etc.).  I think this week is especially unique with the topics of agency and being blessed; the two seem to be more connected than I've ever thought about.  Will the choices I make today bring me closer to my Savior?  And will the choices I make bring me joy and blessings?

I feel like we, the Fieldings, are in a time of life that involves change.  We aren't sure what, or when, or who, or why; we just feel it in our bones.  So this week is super applicable for us in helping us find joy and blessings in the here and now by putting into practice the principles taught in the sermon on the mount.  And they are simple things: poor in spirit, meek, peacemakers, merciful, seeking righteousness, even being persecuted!  We are so blessed, and we are extremely grateful for all we have, we are simply striving to do better and be better; I have found that how that is done is different for everyone (same principles applied in different ways but yielding the same result - joy and blessings).

Our focus next week is on gaining a testimony of Christ and teaching with authority.  As we continue reading the sermon the mount, I challenge you as you read those chapters and verses, to set one goal to help you draw closer to the Savior and find one way to teach more like Jesus taught.

Next week's topics (Feb. 24-Mar. 2):
Come, Follow Me: Matthew 6-7: "He Taught Them as One Having Authority"
Primary Topic: I can gain a testimony of Jesus Christ.
Weekly Challenge: Read and discuss "The Living Christ" as a family, observing the powerful testimonies of the apostles and prophet.

Comments

Popular Posts